Thursday, February 16, 2012

Richardson, TX: Shuck N Jive

Site:  http://richardson.shucknjive.com/
Hours:  11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Daily

We had an itching for seafood one night...I think it was Sunday?  So we decided to pay a visit to Shuck N Jive in Richardson, TX.

The place had a good crowd and the bar was average size.  We usually sit at the bar because normally you receive better and fast service (notice I said normally).  Our bartender, Hunter was also great.  We got our usual whiskey on the rocks (that night it was Maker's Mark).  They have draft beers also and a nice-size tv screen by the bar for your sports viewing pleasure which I happened to witness double overtime in professional basketball for the first time ever.

We ordered a 1/2 dozen of oysters on the half shell and they were awesome! I love raw and chargrilled oysters.  Marc's only had raw oysters maybe 2 or 3 times and he likes it so yay for us!!!  The raw ones go great with lemon, horseradish, a lil hot sauce or cocktail sauce.  We are supposed to make chargrilled oysters this weekend....mmmmmmmmm I can't wait to kill them!! (lol, literally).

We both ordered snow crab legs and they were the perfect size and serving.  Unfortunately the dish only came with one potato cut in half and one small corn.  I am a fan of corn and potatoes when it comes to seafood boils.  So we ordered two more corns and yeah, it was pricey for corn...  Butter and lemons are one of the greatest dipping/sauce combinations (next to garlic, butter, and lemons) for crab legs, shrimp, any seafood for that matter. 

I've been wanting crawfish and I'm so mad at myself for never getting any crawfish when I was in Baton Rouge.  I ate everything else there though, lol.  So I *had* to order one pound of crawfish because the other people at the bar were eating crawfish and said it was good.  My initial choice was crawfish (over crab legs) but when they told me it was $6.99 a pound, I was like ohhhh nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I paid $4.99 a pound ( I ordered five pounds) in Houston last year and they were plump, well seasoned, and AWESOME so I wasn't terribly upset.  I was in Houston on business so I didn't mind shelling out $4.99 a pound.  However, I'm used to paying an average of $2.50-$2.99 a pound and anything past that was expensive to me.

I can't fathom paying $6.99 a pound for crawfish and crawfish that were mostly small.  Of course, in Dallas, they have to be in season...so that explains why they are small but if they get them from Louisiana (which they are in season more often than not) then why can't it be in season now?!?! Oh well, anyways, I ordered one pound and they were good but not the right size..most were small and you can't get any juice out of the head when they're small!  Yes, true crawfish eaters must suck the heads cause that is the best way to get the most out of the crawfish along with their tails.  I'll check back again with Shuck N Jive on the crawfish in a couple months to see if the price ever gets lower and the crawfishies grow.

Shuck N Jive is a great place that is right around the corner, has a good selection of seafood and cajun dishes, nice casual atmosphere, and of course the doozy of them all for Marc..they have Golden Tee Live!!

No comments:

Post a Comment